Locks We Love
Sunday night's Golden Globe awards didn't disappoint! The dresses were stunning. Kate Hudson's was my favorite, and everyone looked HOT even though it was a chilly night in Beverly Hills. But let's talk hair because let's face it, the way the celebs wear theirs is always right on trend and a great guide for how we may want to wear ours!
The first trend I noticed was in the updos of the Globes. There were very few, but most of them were styled with all of the hair swept back, leaving no hair around the face. While there were variations on how the back of the hair was styled, the front is what made these looks neat, clean and elegant. Think Carla Gugino, Julianne Hough, Jennifer Lawrence, Taylor Swift, Eva Longoria, Julianne Moore, Ariel Winter, Olivia Munn and, my favorite, Sienna Miller. Updos are always the best way to show off a gorgeous dress and makeup, and I love to recommend these styles to clients who are wearing elaborate gowns for an event.
Get the look:
- To get a similar look, I recommend applying a medium hold styling product to damp hair. I like Gel Serum by Oribe, and blowing it out smooth while leaving volume at the roots. When you're drying the top section, direct the hair back and away from your face.
- When the hair is dry, decide if you would like some volume a la Eva Longoria, and if so, begin in the crown and back comb the hair, working toward the front. You can skip this step if you like it a little flatter like Taylor Swift wore hers.
- Next, decide how you would like to style the back — a bun, braid, French twist? Go about styling the back as you keep in mind that you want the front to be sleek and smooth with no hair left behind. Finish with a firm hold hairspray to keep your look in place all night. I love Superfine Strong by Oribe.
Hair worn down
The biggest trend of the night in hair was definitely to wear it down! There were three popular variations on down hair that really stood out and they were:
Long and smooth
These 'dos had a side part and some bendy movement. Think Tina Fey, Claire Danes, Lea Michele, Rosario Dawson, Connie Britton and Kate Hudson. This is such an effortless look and so easy to do at home!
- Begin by applying a styling product that will help create volume and hold. I like Body.Builder by Kevin Murphy.
- Blow out the hair in sections starting at the nape and work your way up the head. When the section is smooth and dry, wrap your hair around your round brush and heat it up.
- Wrap the hair to the scalp and leave to cool. I like to work with two brushes so one can cool while I dry the next section. A smaller round brush (1") will create more bend in the hair and a larger brush will only slightly bend your hair.
- When all of your hair is dry, flip your head over and spray with a texturizing spray. My favorite is Dry Texturizing Spray by Oribe. Part your hair slightly off center and finish with a light hold hairspray. Anti.Gravity.Spray by Kevin Murphy is weightless and works well.
A dramatic side part with '40s-inspired glam waves. It's too hard to choose who my favorite was, but this look was worn by Heidi Klum, Jennifer Lopez, Rachel Weisz, Nicole Richie, Megan Fox, Amy Adams, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Francesca Eastwood and Jessica Alba. This Old Hollywood look is my absolute favorite and may take a little practice to do at home!
- Start with damp hair and apply a medium to firm hold styling product like Sculpting Cream by Oribe.
- Blow out your hair smooth and don't worry about creating volume as this look is flat to the head on top.
- When the hair is completely dry, work in 2-inch vertical sections starting at the face and working toward the back of the head.
- Spray each section with a heat styling spray like Soft Lacquer by Oribe and curl back from mid length to ends. Stop when you get to the center back of your head and then work on the other side of your face to meet in the center back.
- When the entire head is curled, brush out with a boar bristle brush and finish with a light hold hairspray.
Sleek and smooth with a center part is such an easy look to do at home, and you too can look like Marion Cotillard, Kathryn Bigelow, Stacy Keibler, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Hayden Panettiere and my fave Sofia Vergara.
- Start with damp hair and apply a smooth product like Smooth Style Serum by Oribe.
- Blow out working in sections with a round brush as smooth as possible. Part your hair in the center before drying the top so it stays flat, especially if you don't normally wear a center part.
- Finish this look by flat ironing in sections. Make sure to use a heat protection spray like Soft Lacquer by Oribe to protect and add incredible shine. If you want even more shine, finish with Shine Light Reflecting Spray by Oribe.
The ladies were all spectacular, but while we're talking hair, can I just mention that I was loving the beard trend going on with some of Hollywood's hottest men last night?! From crazy bearded Bill Murray to slightly bearded Bradley Cooper, and all of the beards in between, I was in love!
What did you think of the hair at the Golden Globes? Will you be trying out any of these looks at home?