These days, stress is a fact of life. It can manifest in many ways, from anxiety and irritability to insomnia and depression. Many women experience digestive upset and life threatening illnesses like heart disease as a result of prolonged stress!
Bodies are put to the test every day, fighting to counteract the damage caused by tension and chronic stress. How your body deals with physical, emotional and environmental stressors determines whether you stay balanced and healthy or succumb to disease and various disorders.
Worry not; Mother Nature has got you covered! She’s created a group of herbal superheroes that help to keep a human body in balance. They’re called adaptogenic herbs. These powerful and mysterious plants assist the body to adapt to everyday stressors, support normal metabolic functions and maintain homeostasis (body balance). Adaptogenic herbs are packed with antioxidants and protect your cells from free radicals. In a nutshell, adaptogenic herbs give your body a tune-up, helping to reduce the daily wear and tear on your body.
Nothing can substitute a healthy, balanced and peaceful lifestyle, but the use of adaptogenic herbs can help your body’s response to daily stress, increase stamina, reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure and boost your immune system. Now that’s an impressive list! Adaptogenic herbs have been used for thousands of years by Ayurvedic and Chinese practitioners and have been shown to be safe and effective. Here are some of my favorite herbal adaptogens to check out:
- Ashwaganda (Withania somniferous) – An ancient Ayurvedic herb. Ashwaganda is often referred to as the “Indian ginseng.” Ashwaganda increases the body’s overall ability to adapt to and resist stress.
- American Ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) – Used similarly to Asian ginseng, American ginseng differs in chemical makeup and energetic prosperities. American ginseng is a balancing tonic for the entire body. It helps to restore energy if used on a consistent basis and has a normalizing effect on the immune system.
- Asian Ginseng (Panax ginseng) – This time honored herb for longevity in Traditional Chinese Medicine is valued in Western medicine for its stimulating effect, which can help treat exhaustion. Ginseng is good for those with low energy and can help to restore sexual vitality.
- Holy Basil (Ocimum sanctum) – This classic herb, used daily in India, is said to promote goodness, virtue and joy in humans.
- Astragalus (Astragalus membranaceus) – Considered an essential tonic herb in Traditional Chinese Medicine, astragalus improves poor appetite, diarrhea and general weakness. Astragalus is often included in cancer protocols.
Lisa Marie Rosati is an Amazon International Best Selling Author, International Health, Wellness & Lifestyle Goddess and Health Expert for www.sharecare.com. Lisa teaches women around the globe how to ROCK their Goddess, get their sexy back, attain optimal holistic health, ignite their mojo and create a kick-ass life through their Divine Feminine Gifts at her website, www.LisaMarieRosati.com.