How To Manage Oily Skin
Oily skin care routine
- Wash oily skin at least twice a day with a soapy or gel-based cleanser. Make sure all the products you use are ‘oil free’. Keeping skin clean is the best defense against breakouts.
- Use a toner to clear away any excess oil, dirt or make-up that was missed when you washed your face.
- Use a light lotion, serum or gel-based moisturizer to balance out your skin. Avoid heavy creams and make sure any product you use states it is ‘oil free’.
- Once or twice a week: Exfoliate skin with a gentle scrub to rid it of dead skin cells. If your skin has breakouts, be careful not to irritate the inflamed skin or it could lead to more blemishes.
- Once a week: Use a drying mask. A mask will help dry out the skin as well as reduce pore size. Clay masks work best for oily skin.
Products for oily skin
There are numerous products on the market for oily skin care so you may have to try a few different ones before finding the right fit. Clinique offers a three-step skin care program for oily skin with their Skin Type-3 products. Their system contains a foam cleanser, toner and a moisturizing gel. Clinique also offers make-up products for oily skin such as oil-free foundation. Aveda offers an affordable four-step skin care kit for oily skin in the Botanical Kinetics collection. Their kit contains a gel cleanser, toning mist, lotion and an exfoliate.